Eligibility Requirements for Admissions Application Fee Waivers
All applicants to George Mason University are required to pay a NON-REFUNDABLE application fee to be considered for admission.
Certain applicants may qualify for an application fee waiver. These applicants include:
- Freshman applicants who are eligible for ACT, NACAC, SAT, Free and Reduced Lunch Program (FRLP), or Fairfax College Partnership (FCPP) fee waivers. Waiver forms must be signed by your college counselor.
- Freshman applicants who are high school scholars and who have earned Mason college credit through attendance at Mason's Washington Scholar Programs: The Washington Journalism and Media Conference (WJMC) or The Washington Youth Summit on the Environment(WYSE).
- Freshman applicants who have participated in the Governor’s School at Innovation Park are eligible for a fee waiver. Please note that it is ONLY for students at the Innovation Park Governor’s School, not other Governor’s Schools.
- Freshman applicants who are members of the Early Identification Program (EIP).
- Participants of the Mason Dream Catchers program.
- Transfer applicants who are graduates of the Pathway to the Baccalaureate Program.
- Transfer applicants who are currently receiving a full PELL award at their current institution. Documentation showing full PELL is required to be eligible.
- Graduate, Non-Degree, and Transfer applicants that are full-time Mason faculty or classified staff.
- Under the terms of the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974, eligible Virginia residents, 60 years or older with a taxable income of less than $23,850 may qualify for an application waiver.
Please note that many fee waivers require you to submit appropriate documentation.
Your eligibility for an application fee waiver is generally determined at the point of application. Please be advised that if you are uncertain if you qualify for an application fee waiver, please contact the Office of Admissions at 703-993-2400 to seek guidance BEFORE you submit your application. Incorrectly indicating fee waiver eligibility will dramatically delay your application, and require you to pay the application fee before a decision can be made.