How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Create a FSA ID. You will use your FSA ID each year to apply for financial aid.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1st of the calendar year for which you are applying for aid for priority consideration of limited financial aid funds. Applications received after March 1st are considered late and will not be given priority consideration but will be reviewed for other federal sources of financial aid.
- Send your FAFSA to Mason by entering school code 003749.
- After you complete the FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR is a summary of the FAFSA data you submitted. Review your SAR for any errors and make corrections to your FAFSA if necessary. Corrections can be made at www.fafsa.gov.
- Respond to any requests for additional information promptly. The OSFA will notify you via email if additional information is required to process your file.
- Once your file is complete, you will be notified of your financial aid package. Incoming freshmen will be notified via mail beginning in late January/early February. Returning and transfer students will be notified via email around June 1st.
- Your award notification will instruct you how to view and accept your award package in patriotweb.gmu.edu. Award notifications for incoming freshmen who have submitted all requested verification items will be issued via email by April 1.
- You must reapply for aid every year.
- FAFSA should be filed as soon as possible on or after October 1, 2016 for the 2017-18 academic year, for priority consideration of limited financial aid funds.
- Write the student’s name and Mason ID (G#) on all documents submitted to the OSFA.
- Keep a copy of all documents related to your financial aid, including promissory notes and loan disclosure statements
- Private scholarships often require separate scholarship applications, so begin searching for scholarships early.
Students that are required to submit additional documentation will be notified via email. New students who have not established Mason email accounts will be emailed at the email account listed on their Mason student record.
With the exception of any document requiring citizenship information, you may submit your documents/forms via mail, fax or in-person to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA), which is located on the 1st floor of SUB I on the Fairfax Campus. The Office’s fax number is 703-993-2350.
Citizenship documents must be submitted by the student in-person at the OSFA. If you are unable to appear in-person, please complete and follow the steps listed on the Citizenship Affidavit form.
After submitting your documents, please allow a minimum of 7-10 business days for processing. If any additional documentation is still required from you, you will receive another email from the OSFA. When all documents are verified, PatriotWeb will show a complete status.
Please do not email sensitive information such as tax returns, social security numbers or other personally identifiable information. Instead, fax to 703-993-2350 or mail to:
Office of Student Financial Aid, 4400 University Drive, 3B5, Fairfax, VA 22030.
DACA recipients are encouraged to complete FAFSA, but do not qualify to receive federal grants, loans, or work study programs. For more information as to why it is important to complete the application, please click here.