For priority consideration of limited State and Institutional grant funds, undergraduate students must submit their FASFA by January 15th, (March 1st for transfer students) and all required other documents by March 1st, each year. Awarding for prospective freshmen and new transfer students will begin in early January. Returning students will be awarded in June, after the annual Satisfactory Academic Progress review at the end of the spring term.
Newly accepted graduate students will be notified about aid on a rolling basis as they complete their application for admissions. Continuing graduate students will be notified of aid eligibility for the following year in early June.
- Create a FSA ID. You will use your FSA ID each year to apply for financial aid.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no later than January 15th of the calendar year for which you are applying for aid for priority consideration of limited financial aid funds. You can complete the FAFSA as early as October 1 of the preceding year. By filing early, it will give you time to get the Aid Office any additional documents that may be needed to complete your application. Any needed supporting documents must be received by March 1st for priority aid consideration.
FAFSAs received after January 15th are considered late and will not be given priority consideration but will be reviewed for other federal sources of financial aid.
- Send your FAFSA to Mason by entering school code 003749.
- After you complete the FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR is a summary of the FAFSA data you submitted. Review your SAR for any errors and make corrections to your FAFSA if necessary. Corrections can be made at www.fafsa.gov.
- Respond to any requests for additional information promptly. The OSFA will notify you via email if additional information is required to process your file. Students applying for aid should ensure their FAFSA is in and application complete no later than one month before the end of the semester for which the student is applying for aid.
- Once your file is complete, you will be notified of your financial aid package. Incoming freshmen will be notified via mail beginning in late January/early February. Returning and transfer students will be notified via email around June 1st.
- Your award notification will instruct you how to view and accept your award package in patriotweb.gmu.edu.
- At Mason, summer is a trailer term. The aid year begins with the fall semester and runs through the end of the following summer semester. When reviewing your aid offer in Patriot Web, please be sure to check the correct year.
- You must reapply for aid every year.
- The FAFSA should be filed as soon as possible on or after October 1st for the next academic year. For example, start filing on October 1, 2020 for the 2021-22 academic year, or October 1, 2021 for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Write the student’s name and Mason ID (G#) on all documents submitted to the OSFA.
- Keep a copy of all documents related to your financial aid, including promissory notes and loan disclosure statements.
- Private scholarships often require separate scholarship applications, so begin searching for scholarships early.
Students that are required to submit additional documentation will be notified via email. New students who have not established Mason email accounts will be emailed at the email account listed on their Mason student record.
With the exception of any document requiring citizenship information, you may submit your documents/forms via mail or fax at 703-993-2350. You may also submit your documents/forms online. You may also submit your documents/forms in person at the Mason Student Services Center (MSSC) located on the 1st floor of SUB 1 on the Fairfax Campus.
Citizenship documents must be submitted by the student in-person at the Mason Student Services Center. If you are unable to appear in-person, please complete and follow the steps listed on the Citizenship Affidavit form.
After submitting your documents, please allow a minimum of 7-10 business days for processing. If any additional documentation is still required from you, you will receive another email from the OSFA. When all documents are verified, PatriotWeb will show a complete status.
Please do not email sensitive information such as tax returns, social security numbers or other personally identifiable information. Instead, fax to 703-993-2350 or mail to:
Office of Student Financial Aid, 4400 University Drive, 3B5, Fairfax, VA 22030.