News at Mason
2013 Teaching Excellence Awards
April 25, 2013
Each year, the Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence presents Teaching Excellence Awards as both institutional recognition and a monetary acknowledgement of the significant work that faculty members devote to course planning and preparation; curriculum development; and innovative teaching, advising, and undergraduate and graduate mentoring.
In addition, the David J. King Faculty Teaching Award has been given annually since 2002 to a faculty member who has made significant, long-term contributions to the overall educational excellence of the university.
In 2012, a new category, Teachers of Distinction, was added to recognize faculty members who have been finalists for the Teaching Excellence Award, and who are recognized across campus for their exceptional teaching and their commitment to teaching-related activities.
The 2013 award winners follow.
David J. King Faculty Teaching Award
Terry Myers Zawacki, associate professor of English who recently retired, received the award. From 1998 to 2012, Zawacki led the Writing Across the Curriculum program, which has been consistently cited by U.S.News and World Report for making the writing process a priority at all levels of instruction and across the curriculum. Zawacki won a Teaching Excellence Award in 2011.
Teaching Excellence Award Winners
- Daniel Cox, School of Systems Biology and Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study
- Shannon Davis, Sociology and Anthropology
- Paul Gorski, General Education award, New Century College
- Christopher Hamner, History and Art History
- Kathryn Jacobsen, Global and Community Health
- Jaime Lester, Higher Education Program
- Jeffrey Mantz, Sociology and Anthropology
- Jeff Offutt, Teaching with Technology award, Computer Science
2013 Teachers of Distinction
- Gérard Beck, Modern and Classical Languages
- Guido Cervone, Geography and Geoinformation Science
- Maria Dakake, Religious Studies
- Marci Kinas-Jerome, Graduate School of Education
- Mary Lechter, School of Theater
- Seungwon “Shawn” Lee, School of Recreaction, Health and Tourism
- Kristien Zenkov, Graduate School of Education