George Mason University’s Homecoming Week 2016 is a week of exciting activities and events that brings students and alumni together to celebrate all things Patriot-related. In addition to the traditional offerings—3-on-3 basketball, alumni beer tastings, alumni brunches—this year sees the Mason debut of best-selling author, two-time Emmy® winner and celebrity gossipmonger Kathy Griffin. (All events are at the Fairfax Campus unless otherwise noted.)
- The most spirited week of the year begins at 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 8, at Dewberry Hall when the Top 10 Mason Majesty candidates show their Patriot pride in a pageant at the Homecoming Hustle. Visitors receive T-shirts and enjoy goodies from a “candy bar.”
- Kathy Griffin’s “Like a Boss” tour comes to EagleBank Arena Thursday, Feb. 11, with the comedienne kicking off the jokes at 8 p.m. Tickets for students (limit two) are $25 on the floor and $15 in the upper level; faculty and staff, $45 and $35; and for the general public, $55 and $45. Details here.
- On Saturday, Feb. 13, join everyone’s favorite big head mascot, the Patriot, for breakfast at the Johnson Center bookstore from 9:30 to 11 a.m. In addition to opportunities for cool selfies with the Patriot, there will be activities for children and story time. Info is here.
- Mason’s 18th annual block-and-tailgate party starts at 1 p.m. Saturday in Lot K. Block party info is here. What’s in the heated tent for alumni and families? A Southern-flavored menu of chicken, gumbo, barbecue and other dishes, as well as a bar. Details are here. Registrants receive an embroidered scarf, a keyboard “M” logo decal and a homecoming button to wear at the main event, Saturday’s
- Basketball game. Dave Paulsen’s men’s Patriots team tips off against the Davidson Wildcats at 4 p.m.
- After the Alumni Association-sponsored Zambelli Fireworks show over Mason Pond following the game, there is a post-game party at nearby Brion’s Grille ($20 in advance; $25 at the door) for alumni.