News at Mason
Around Mason: Week of Aug. 25, 2020
August 24, 2020
Have something to share? Submit an announcement from your unit using the online form.
Deadline is close of business Wednesday for inclusion in the following Tuesday's edition.
Check out the new Hours of Operation website, which lists in-person, virtual, and phone contact hours for Mason offices and services. Visit hours.gmu.edu.
Don't see your department listed or need to submit a change? Share your department's contact hours using this form.
Only one person needs to submit the form for each department.
Please share the hours.gmu.edu link with your students to help them connect with the services they need.
For questions, contact Lauren Reuscher, University Information, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
College Colors Day celebrates and promotes school spirit by encouraging fans to wear apparel of their favorite college on Friday, Sept. 4.
Show your colors wherever you are—school, work, or home! College Colors Day also kicks off another school year of Spirit Fridays at Mason, where everyone shows school pride by wearing Mason gear.
Haven’t gotten your Mason gear yet? Find local and online retailers to get your green and gold. Remember, wear your colors on Sept. 4!
As we begin a new academic year and continue in an increased virtual environment, University Records Management would like to remind the Mason community that any records created by employees are a compliance area for the university at large.
During this time when many of the ways we conduct business have changed, we are still subject to the records regulations set forth by the Library of Virginia under the Virginia Public Records Act (VPRA), as well as other laws and agreements.
The fall Mason Shuttles schedules are available at shuttle.gmu.edu. A reminder that there have been some important changes:
- Check the schedules carefully as there are service changes—days and times of service and some stop changes on the Mason Shuttles routes.
- The following routes will be in service this fall: Burke VRE, Fairfax/SciTech, Gunston Mason, and Sandy Creek to Metro. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we will not be running the Arlington Pilot, Global to Metro, Gunston George, and the West Campus shuttles.
- Other COVID-19 impacts to Mason Shuttles include:
- Face coverings (or university-approved exceptions) are required.
- Shuttle bus capacity reduced to 50 percent of seats.
- Fill seats from back to front to reduce passengers passing each other.
- Maintain a six-foot distance while waiting, boarding, and departing the shuttle.
- As in the past, a Mason ID is required to board. Visitors are not permitted on the shuttles until further notice.
Questions? Contact Mason Transportation at email@example.com or 703-993-2828.
Faculty and staff are encouraged to participate in the Mason International Collaborative (MIC), a two-year initiative to review and strategize on campus internationalization efforts. The areas of comprehensive internationalization being addressed are: curriculum, enrollment management and partnerships, education abroad, faculty development, students and campus life, and research.
The goal is to create strategic cohesion across the span of Mason’s global efforts. Institutions accomplish this by having a multi-dimensional, comprehensive internationalization strategy including involvement and collaboration with faculty. Take the 20-minute optional survey.
Contact the Institutional Review Board office at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference IRBNet #1601043-1 with questions.
Training and Professional Development
Mason 101 is a one-time, two-hour workshop for Mason staff and faculty to learn more about the history, organization, resources, and future of George Mason University.
This experience has moved entirely online for sessions scheduled Friday, August 28; Friday, September 11; and Wednesday, September 16.
Sign up is available at masonleaps.gmu.edu:
- Log-in with your MasonID.
- In the search bar, type "Mason 101" and press your Return/Enter key.
- On the screen that opens, click "Mason 101"
- Click on the available Mason 101 date.
- Click the "Request" button next to the date you wish to register for.
For questions or more information, contact Philip Stamper at email@example.com or 703-993-5308.
University Career Services will offer its Career Influencer Training as a virtual workshop series in September and November.
The Career Influencers Network provides faculty and staff the opportunity to learn how to best support students in becoming career-ready and achieving post-graduate success in today’s quickly evolving world of work. Joining the Career Influencers Network will help you help students as they reflect on, refine, and pursue their career goals.
Attendees must participate in all three scheduled workshops in the series to complete the training. The workshops are intended to be undertaken in the order offered, so plan to participate in the workshops on all three mornings.
For more information, training dates, and to register, visit the website.
Contact Kristin Leonato at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Resources for You
COVID-19 has necessitated a number of changes within Parking and Transportation. We have some resources to assist as you return to campus, including:
- Parking and Transportation FAQ
- Short video about Riding Mason Shuttles
- Transportation Guide, Fall 2020
Drop by the Mobile Commuter Store in front of the Arlington Campus each Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. (3301 Fairfax Drive).
Contact email@example.com with questions.