We want to both maintain and safeguard our health. Mason encourages the community to get out and about and exercise ... while taking the proper precautions.
On the Fairfax Campus, the Skyline Fitness Center is closed until further notice. The Recreation Athletic Complex (RAC) and the Aquatic and Fitness Center on the Fairfax Campus are open, as is the Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center on the Science and Technology Campus.
Mason will follow precautions in accordance with the Governor of Virginia’s Executive Orders, best practices, and NCAA requirements/recommendations. These policies may change over time as precautionary measures are relaxed or guidance changes:
- At least 10 feet physical distance must be maintained between persons during all activities, in fitness classes, using exercise equipment, at check-in, and in locker rooms.
- The total number of participants in group exercise and fitness classes may not exceed 30 percent of the maximum occupancy or more than 50 people. The most stringent applies.
- Hot tubs, spas, splash pads, spray pools and interactive play features will remain closed.
- Pools (indoor and outdoor) may open for lap swim, instruction and diving as long as 10 feet can be maintained between swimmers within one lane.
- Employees working in customer-facing areas must wear face coverings at all times.
- Staff must clean and disinfect shared equipment after each use.
- High-contact surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected every two hours.
- Equipment that cannot be thoroughly disinfected between uses (climbing rope, exercise bands, etc.) has been taken out of service.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be provided.
- Face coverings are not required while exercising outside, as long as physical distance is maintained.
Intercollegiate Athletics might implement additional precautions and requirements for student athletes, teams, training facilities, team travel, and competitions as the university sees necessary or in accordance with NCAA requirements or recommendations.