Mason’s COVID Testing Requirements
Due to the ongoing risk of COVID-19 transmission and illness, Mason requires all students, faculty, and staff (vaccinated and unvaccinated) to participate in routine COVID testing.
Students, faculty, and staff who are unvaccinated must participate in mandatory testing once per week. Vaccinated students and employees in high contact roles are also required to participate in testing. Vaccinated students and employees in non-high contact roles will be randomly selected for surveillance testing; testing is optional but strongly encouraged. You will receive an email informing you of the frequency of your required testing and how to make an appointment.
You are strongly encouraged to utilize Mason’s COVID test sites for testing. All on-campus testing is free, and Mason is offering extended hours to accommodate diverse schedules; see schedule below.
Mason is coordinating tests to ensure capacity for those that need to receive one. If you elect to use non-Mason testing to meet your testing requirement, instructions on how to upload testing documentation are provided in the email you will receive regarding testing.
Students who are non-compliant with Mason’s testing requirement will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and may be unenrolled from in-person classes, expelled from their on-campus residence, and prohibited from participating in on- and off-campus events and extracurricular activities.
Employees who are non-compliant will be referred to Employee Relations and may face disciplinary action, placed on unpaid leave, or have their position terminated. Contact us if you have questions about how to comply with Mason’s testing requirement.
Testing is prioritized for:
- Students experiencing COVID symptoms.
- Unvaccinated members of the Mason community.
- Vaccinated individuals in high-contact roles and/or activities, such as athletics, dance, clinical settings, registered student organizations, and student support.
- Vaccinated students and employees who are determined to be close contacts of COVID positive individuals.
- Asymptomatic students and employees who are concerned about a potential exposure.
Diagnostic Testing (Testing While You Have Symptoms)
Anyone with COVID symptoms should be tested, whether you’ve been vaccinated or not.
Symptomatic students should isolate, and contact Student Health Services (SHS) (703-993-2831) to seek evaluation and diagnostic testing. If you’re enrolled at Mason, even if you don't have insurance, you’re eligible for treatment at SHS.
Symptomatic faculty, staff, and contractors are encouraged to seek testing through their existing health care provider and report results to the university. Mason’s surveillance test sites are not designed to handle symptomatic individuals; please do not attempt to get a COVID test at Mason’s test sites if you feel unwell or have symptoms.
To help track the virus spreading via carriers who display no symptoms, Mason will randomly select members of the community to be tested.
- Unvaccinated students, faculty, and staff are required to participate in mandatory routine testing (once or more per week).
- Vaccinated residential students are required to participate in mandatory testing as frequently as once a week.
- Unvaccinated residential students are required to participate in mandatory testing as frequently as twice a week.
- Vaccinated students, faculty, and staff in high contact roles such as dance, athletics, university police, clinic staff, and some student/employee support roles will be selected to participate in mandatory periodic testing.
- Vaccinated non-high contact students, faculty, and staff will receive an invitation to participate in testing; testing is optional but strongly encouraged to help Mason understand the prevalence of COVID within our community and mitigate COVID transmission and outbreaks.
Courtesy Testing for Potential Exposures
Mason is notifying classes, work areas, registered student organizations, and internal event participants via email of positive cases that are reported in these settings. Students, faculty, and staff that are notified by Mason of a potential exposure in a university classroom, while at work, or while participating in an extracurricular university event are eligible to receive a courtesy COVID test at one of Mason’s COVID test sites. If you have COVID symptoms please do not visit Mason’s test sites and quarantine until you have discussed your condition with a health care provider.
Close Contact Testing
If you are notified by the Health Department that you are a close contact, Mason COVID Health Check will provide instructions regarding where and how to schedule a COVID test on or off campus. Vaccinated students, faculty, and staff who are identified as close contacts can be tested at Mason’s testing sites. Unvaccinated students, faculty, and staff will need to schedule a diagnostic test. See graphic below for more information about testing for potential exposure and close contact exposures. Complete Mason COVID Health Check for more information.
Self-Selected On-Demand Testing
Mason is offering free COVID testing for asymptomatic students, faculty, and staff who are concerned about a possible exposure on campus. If you are asymptomatic (do not have symptoms) and want to receive a COVID test, even if you were not notified by Mason or the local health department of a close contact, you may take at test at the Johnson Center on the Fairfax Campus and regional campuses during scheduled test site hours (see below). Tests are limited and available on a first come first serve basis
If you feel unwell, have symptoms, or diagnosed/tested positive for COVID please do not attempt to take a test on campus; instead, contact your primary health care provider for guidance and/or testing.
Mason’s COVID Test Sites
Mason maintains test sites and hours for residential students, non-residential students, faculty, and staff.
|Johnson Center Clinic 1st Floor||M-F; 9a.m. - 5p.m.|
|Fenwick Library A Wing (formerly MIX)||
M, Th; 11a.m - 7p.m.
|Eisenhower Hall (Presidents' Park) Room G101||M-F; 10a.m - 3p.m.|
|Hazel Hall, Rooms B1-13||T, W; 11a.m.- 7p.m.|
|Colgan Hall, Room 413||M, Th: 9a.m. - 5p.m.|
Smithsonian Mason School of Conservation (SMSC) Testing
SMSC requires pre-move-in testing for residential students. Unvaccinated students will be tested at least weekly, and vaccinated students will be tested every other week for at least the first four weeks of the semester. Vault Health test kits will be used.
International Traveler Surveillance Testing
International students, domestic students, and Mason employees who have traveled internationally and have not received an approved CDC or World Health Organization (WHO) vaccine must quarantine upon arrival in the U.S. and have a COVID test within three to five days after arriving in the United States. After their initial test, international students will follow the same testing protocols as the rest of Mason’s student population, dependent on their housing status.
Vaccinated international travelers are not required to quarantine or receive testing upon their return to the United States. All travelers are encouraged to monitor for COVID symptoms. If symptoms occur, self-isolate and contact your primary care provider to discuss your health conditions.
When a Test is Positive
Any positive COVID-19 test obtained or collected on campus will trigger:
- Notification of results.
- Referral to care, isolation instructions, and connection to support.
- Health department notification.
- Identification of and follow-up with close contacts.
- Notification of classes, work areas, and groups as determined by contract tracing and in accordance with Virginia Law (PDF).
- Documentation of positive results in the university’s secure and confidential Master Positive Case Log.