All faculty, staff, students, guests, vendors, and visitors must wear face coverings on campus and in university buildings (including during class), in accordance with University Policy 1415.
Face coverings should meet CDC Face Covering Guidance, which excludes surgical and N95 masks. Use of these specific masks should be limited to patients to prevent transmission and to health care staff who are interacting with sick individuals at close range.
The university will provide two reusable face coverings to Mason students, faculty and staff. You can also use your own as it meets the requirements of Policy 1415 and the CDC’s Face Covering Guidance. Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) will provide coverings to units/departments. University Life oversees the distribution of face coverings to students.
Mason requires face coverings when:
- Inside a university building, vehicle, or other facility.
- Outside on Mason property when physical distancing of 6 feet cannot be consistently maintained.
- At any event or gathering organized by a university department, student group, or external organization.
Exceptions are detailed in University Policy 1415.
When you take off your mask, store it in a labeled, sealed bag. Do not share it with anyone else.
Face coverings should:
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face.
- Be secured with ties or ear loops.
- Be made of more than one layer of breathable fabric.
- Be washable and dryable without damage or a change in shape.
When using your face covering:
- Wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (with at least 60 percent alcohol) before putting it on.
- Place the face covering over your mouth and nose and under the chin.
- Ensure there are no gaps between your face and the covering.
- Be aware that if you touch your face or adjust your face covering after you've touched other objects, you can spread virus to your face.
- Remove your face covering from behind the ears. Try not to touch the front of the covering or your face.
- Don’t use the covering for more than one day without washing with regular laundry detergent.
- Replace and dispose of soiled, damaged (ripped or punctured) or visibly contaminated coverings.
If you can’t wear a face covering due to a disability, speak to the appropriate office to request an accommodation.
- Students should contact Disability Services at 703-993-2474.
- Faculty, staff and volunteers should contact Human Resources and Payroll to work with Employee Relations at 703-993-3878. Supervisors can verify whether an employee has an exception to the face covering requirement by contacting Employee Relations; the reason for the exception will remain confidential.
If you encounter people who are not wearing a face covering, maintain physical distance of at least 6 feet. Don’t call the police or local health department.