We encourage you to use transportation options that limit contact with those outside your household.
- Ride-share with a regular group.
- Limited-seating shuttles.
Mason’s Parking and Transportation Services can provide information about these and other options.
The CDC’s Protect Yourself When Using Transportation site offers additional guidance for staying safe when using various forms of transportation.
Fall service for the Mason Shuttle began August 17, 2020, with four routes operating:
- Burke VRE
- Gunston Mason
- Sandy Creek/Metro
Service reductions will go into effect in October.
The last day of regular fall service on all routes is Friday, October 2. There is no weekend service on any route beginning Saturday, October 3.
- All service on the Burke VRE and Sandy Creek to Metro routes ends on Friday, October 2 until further notice. To travel to Vienna Metro, use the CUE bus, which remains on its regular schedule with departures from Rappahannock River Lane. You can find scheduling information on the CUE bus site.
- Beginning Monday, October 5, shuttle service will only be available on the Fairfax/SciTech and Gunston Mason routes.
- Fairfax/SciTech: No weekend service. From Monday through Friday, service will be every 40 minutes beginning at 6 a.m., from Sandy Creek and Colgan Hall, with four buses on the route.
- Gunston Mason: No weekend service. From Monday through Friday, some morning service will cease, but Gunston Mason will run with a single bus all day and evening.
If you ride on a Mason Shuttle, you must wear a face covering. At shuttle stops, maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet.
Seating is reduced to 50 percent of maximum capacity, with one rider at each window seat and maintaining 6-foot separation between riders. The shuttle driver will disinfect high touchpoints several times per shift, and shuttles will be deep cleaned, including an electrostatic disinfection, daily.
Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after exiting the shuttle.
Mason’s scooter pilot program has resumed and is underway through December 31, 2020. Both Bird and Lime scooters are available on campus. Use the scooters in the pilot area, which is Mason’s Fairfax Campus and the City of Fairfax only.
If you use a state car, van, or golf cart, you must follow specific guidelines.
- A vehicle with one row of seating used for a trip of less than 10 minutes can have two occupants (driver and passenger) with the windows of the vehicle open during the drive. Occupants must wear masks.
- A vehicle with one row of seats used for a drive longer than 10 minutes can have one occupant (driver).
- A vehicle with multiple rows of seats can have one rider per row on alternate sides of the vehicle, with the windows open during the trip. Occupants must wear masks.
- Vehicular travel for research is limited to the driver only.
- Disinfection of high touch surfaces (steering wheel, gearshift, door frames/handles, windows, radio/temperature dials, and seatbelt buckles) will be performed pre-and post-trip. Keys will be wiped down when they are turned in.
- Drivers of state vehicles and golf carts found in noncompliance will be prohibited from using vehicles.
- In the event that a person sick with COVID-19 had been identified as the operator of a state vehicle or golf cart, it will be taken out of service and disinfected per CDC guidelines.