We encourage you to use transportation options that limit contact with those outside your household.
- Ride-share with a one other person.
- Limited-seating shuttles.
Mason’s Parking and Transportation Services can provide information about these and other options.
The CDC’s Protect Yourself When Using Transportation site offers additional guidance for staying safe when using various forms of transportation.
Spring Shuttle service began Monday, January 25.
Only the Fairfax/SciTech and the Gunston Mason routes are running in Spring 2021. All other routes are not in service until further notice.
Spring 2021 shuttle schedules for Fairfax/SciTech and Gunston Mason are posted on the Mason Shuttle site. Both routes are operating on a Monday-Friday schedule with no weekend service. Fairfax/SciTech departures are every 75 minutes from Colgan and Sandy Creek.
Shuttle Safety Rules
If you ride on a Mason Shuttle, you must wear a face covering. At shuttle stops, maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet.
Seating is reduced to 50 percent of maximum capacity, with one rider at each window seat and maintaining 6-foot separation between riders. The shuttle driver will disinfect high touchpoints several times per shift, and shuttles will be deep cleaned, including an electrostatic disinfection, daily.
Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after exiting the shuttle.
You must have a valid Mason ID to board the shuttle; no guests, including family members, can ride until further notice.
Mason’s scooter pilot program has been extended with Bird and Lime through December 31, 2021. Use the scooters in the pilot area, which is Mason’s Fairfax Campus and the City of Fairfax only. Find more information on the scooter pilot program.
If you use a state car, van, or golf cart, you must follow specific guidelines.
- A vehicle with one row of seating used for a trip of less than 10 minutes can have two occupants (driver and passenger) with the windows of the vehicle open during the drive. Occupants must wear masks.
- A vehicle with one row of seats used for a drive longer than 10 minutes can have one occupant (driver).
- A vehicle with multiple rows of seats can have one rider per row on alternate sides of the vehicle, with the windows open during the trip. Occupants must wear masks.
- Vehicular travel for research is limited to the driver only.
- Disinfection of high touch surfaces (steering wheel, gearshift, door frames/handles, windows, radio/temperature dials, and seatbelt buckles) will be performed pre-and post-trip. Keys will be wiped down when they are turned in.
- Drivers of state vehicles and golf carts found in noncompliance will be prohibited from using vehicles.
- In the event that a person sick with COVID-19 had been identified as the operator of a state vehicle or golf cart, it will be taken out of service and disinfected per CDC guidelines.
Members of the Mason community and visitors should follow parking guidelines when visiting one of our campuses.
Spring parking permits were available online beginning January 15, 2021. Permits are only sold on a per-semester basis.
Faculty and staff using the payroll deduction plan for parking permits who want to discontinue this plan should return parking permits (and access card, if applicable) to Parking Services. You'll get a confirmation receipt via e-mail. Permits should be mailed to:
Mason Parking Services
4400 University Drive MSN 1G4
Fairfax, VA 22030
For visitors and those who are only on campus sporadically, there are daily, weekly, and monthly options which can be purchased online, as well as some mobile payment options to reduce the need to use parking pay stations in Rappahannock Deck and at the Field House. Customer-facing parking equipment, such as parking pay stations, will be cleaned multiple times daily.
All permits are printable with the exception of those for motorcycles. We will not mail hang tags. You’ll need to print and display the permit on the vehicle dashboard. You have 10 days from purchase to print your permit.
The printable permit includes your vehicle’s license plate number, and is not transferable between vehicles. If your car is unavailable (e.g. it is being repaired), call Parking Services to arrange a short-term parking permit for the alternate vehicle.
You must have a current and valid parking permit to park on Mason property.
Office Hours: Mason Parking in Fairfax is closed to walk-in traffic and remains on an appointment-only system. Everyone is encouraged to use on-line parking resources as much as possible. Check the Arlington Parking and SciTech Parking pages for information on those campuses.
To schedule an appointment, email:
For additional questions, contact Parking Services.
Changes/Continuations for Spring 2021 Semester
- West Campus: Permits will not be sold due to discontinued spring semester shuttle service. All permits are still valid at West Campus if needed.
- Rappahannock Parking Deck: The gates for the reserved levels (3 through 5) will remain lifted for the semester, so an access card will not be required. A valid Rappahannock reserved permit is still required to park on reserved levels and will be enforced.
- Freshman Resident: Students can purchase any permit except the General and Lot M/P permits. They can also select the “Resident Lite” permit option, which is valid in Lots K, M, O, and P.
- Off Campus Freshman: Students can buy the “General Lot” permit option.
- Sophomore Residents: The “General Lot” permit option is available.
- Payroll Deduction Permits: For employees who pay via payroll deduction, permits will not change and will automatically renew in September. Any employees wishing to stop payroll deduction must mail their permit (and gate entry card, if applicable) to the Parking Services office at MS1G4. Permits may be returned at any time to stop future deductions. The process to end your parking payroll deduction will be initiated upon our receipt of your parking permit.
- Short-Term Parking: For students, faculty and staff who do not require parking on campus on a regular basis, there are daily, weekly, and monthly options available online. Hourly visitor parking is available in all parking garages at $3/hour with a $15 daily maximum. At the Field House in Lots M & P, daily parking for $3 can be purchased in front of the Field House or using the ParkMobile app. ParkMobile is also available in Lot K.
- There are also daily rates in the general lots ranging from $3-9 per day. Find more information on parking options on the Mason Transportation site.