We encourage you to explore active transportation options as part of your commute plan.
- Fall service for Gunston Go-Bus (Gunston Mason), Sandy Creek to Metro, and the On-Demand Shuttle began August 20.
- Fall service for Arlington/Fairfax, Burke VRE, and Fairfax/SciTech began August 23.
Global to Metro and Gunston George are not operating for Fall 2021.
Shuttle Safety Rules
Everyone, whether they are vaccinated or not, must wear a mask when riding a Mason Shuttle. Seating is reduced to 90 percent of maximum capacity, with socially distanced seating available at the front of the shuttle.
The shuttle driver will disinfect high touchpoints several times per shift, and shuttles will be deep cleaned, including electrostatic disinfection, daily.
Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after exiting the shuttle.
You must have a valid Mason ID to board the shuttle; no guests, including family members, can ride until further notice.
Mason’s scooter pilot program has been extended through December 31, 2021. Use the scooters in the pilot area, which is Mason’s Fairfax Campus and the City of Fairfax only. Find more information on the scooter pilot program.
The university uses state vehicles and motorized utility vehicles (golf carts) to conduct university official business. All drivers must follow University Policy 1411 to operate a vehicle licensed for road use and University Policy 1131 to operate motorized utility vehicles.
- Limit the number of passengers to allow for physical distancing as much as possible in accordance with CDC guidance.
- Unvaccinated employees and others at high risk of infection shouldn't share vehicles. If you must, follow Mason's Accommodations, Adjustments and Modifications (AAM) process and meet requirements in accordance with Virginia law. (PDF)
- If more than one person is in a Mason-owned or operated vehicle/golf cart, everyone (even if vaccinated) must wear face coverings, per University Policy 1415.
- If more than one person is in the vehicle, windows must remain open (weather permitting), or the ventilation system must run without recirculated air.
- Maintain physical distancing as much as possible. You must wear an N-95 respirator if physical distancing isn't possible.
- Driver Safety Awareness training has been modified to include information regarding reduced ridership, cleaning and disinfecting per university precautions and CDC guidelines.
- Disinfection of high-touch surfaces (steering wheel, gearshift, door frames/handles, windows, radio/temperature dials, and seatbelt buckles) will be performed pre-and post-trip. Keys will be wiped down when they are turned in.
- Drivers of state vehicles and golf carts found in noncompliance will be prohibited from using vehicles.
- In the event that a person sick with COVID-19 had been identified as the operator of a state vehicle or golf cart, it will be taken out of service and disinfected per CDC guidelines.
Members of the Mason community and visitors should follow parking guidelines when visiting one of our campuses.
Fall parking permits are on sale online.
Payroll Deduction Permits: For employees who pay via payroll deduction, permits will not change and will automatically renew in September.
Faculty and staff using the payroll deduction plan for parking permits who want to discontinue this plan should return parking permits (and access card, if applicable) to Parking Services.
The process to end your parking payroll deduction will be initiated upon our receipt of your parking permit. You'll get a confirmation receipt via e-mail. Permits should be mailed to:
Mason Parking Services
4400 University Drive MSN 1G4
Fairfax, VA 22030
For visitors and those who are only on campus sporadically, there are daily, weekly, and monthly options which can be purchased online, as well as some mobile payment options to reduce the need to use parking pay stations in Rappahannock Deck and at the Field House. Mobile payments are also available for Lots K, L, and the West Campus (Fairfax), and the Occoquan, Discovery and Tower parking lots (SciTech). Customer-facing parking equipment, such as parking pay stations, will be cleaned multiple times daily.
Hang tag permits are returning for Fall 2021. When purchasing a permit, please print out a temporary permit on the final screen that is valid for 14 days until your hangtag arrives in the mail.
You must have a current and valid parking permit to park on Mason property.
Office Hours: Mason Parking in Fairfax and Arlington are open to walk-in traffic. SciTech is still by appointment. Everyone is still encouraged to use online parking resources as much as possible, and the Fairfax office will limit the number of people who can be in the office for social distancing purposes. Check the Arlington Parking and SciTech Parking pages for information on those campuses.
For additional questions, contact Parking Services.
- Rappahannock Parking Deck: The gates for reserved levels will remain open for the semester, so an access card will not be required. A valid Rappahannock reserved permit is still required to park on reserved levels and will be enforced.
- Short-Term Parking: For students, faculty and staff who do not require parking on campus on a regular basis, there are daily, weekly, and monthly options available online. Hourly visitor parking is available in all parking garages at $3/hour with a $15 daily maximum. At the Field House in Lots M & P, a daily parking permit for $5 can be purchased online or through the ParkMobile app. ParkMobile is also available in Lots K, L, and the West Campus (Fairfax) and the Occoquan, Discovery, and Tower parking lots (SciTech).
- There are also daily rates in the General permit areas ranging from $5 to 9 per day. Find more information on parking options on the Mason Transportation site.