News at Mason
Parking and Traffic Advisory: Campus Drive
December 3, 2017
The university is expecting heavy traffic during men’s basketball games on Wednesday, December 6, and Tuesday, December 12, at EagleBank Arena, and is taking steps to ensure adequate traffic flow on the Fairfax Campus during peak times.
That includes opening Campus Drive from 4 to 11 p.m. on these game days. As a note, Campus Drive will remain closed afterward—except access to the West Campus Parking Lot, and Rapidan River Road via Braddock Road—until mid-January to accommodate an ongoing Fairfax Water construction project. For more details, visit Building Patriot Pride.
On Friday, December 8, expect lane closures on Patriot Circle at the Campus Drive intersection as part of that project. Also, beginning Monday, December 4, through Friday, December 8, expect occasional lane closures near Peterson Hall on Aquia Creek Lane and Patriot Circle as deliveries are made.
As a reminder, on basketball game days drivers are advised to:
- Allow extra time commuting to and from campus
- Avoid the southern end of campus off Braddock Road near EagleBank Arena
- Expect event traffic up to two hours before the doors open at 6 p.m.
- Expect traffic delays on Mason Shuttle routes
- Consider parking in Rappahannock River Parking Deck to avoid the event parking and traffic impacts
To accommodate additional traffic flow on campus:
- Shenandoah Parking Deck levels 4 and 5 will be open as overflow, event, and general permit parking starting at 5 p.m. on December 6 and 12