A Campus That's a Cut Above
Mason's Fairfax location, our original campus, is the principal center for undergraduate studies, with residence halls that house more than 6,000 of our 37,000-plus students.
The campus, on 677 wooded acres within 25 minutes of downtown Washington, D.C., offers academic programs in nine colleges and schools:
- College of Education and Human Development.
- College of Health and Human Services.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- College of Science.
- College of Visual and Performing Arts.
- Schar School of Policy and Government.
- School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution.
- School of Business.
- Volgenau School of Engineering.
This busy campus reflects our rising enrollment, and we're constructing new buildings to accommodate that growth. Recent projects:
- The 2018 opening of the Peterson Family Health Sciences Hall, the new home of the College of Health and Human Services. The 165,000-square-foot facility includes classrooms, offices, a health clinic, wet labs, a nutrition kitchen, and an amphitheater.
- This year also marked the start of construction on the Core Campus Project, which includes a state-of-the-art six-story, 218,000-square-foot building with classrooms, office space, meeting rooms, and community space.
Live Well, Have Fun, Learn
- Residence halls include traditional rooms, suites, and apartments. Service desks are staffed 24/7, and amenities include free laundry, Wi-Fi, and cable.
- If you can't live on campus, our location offers easy access via Metro, bus, or shuttle. Parking facilities are available if you drive.
- Dining locations are conveniently placed throughout campus, with some open 24 hours. Students can eat in one of three dining halls or at one of many fast/casual restaurants.
- After class, head to the Recreation and Athletic Complex (RAC), which has three gymnasiums, racquetball courts, squash courts, and a two-story fitness gallery. The Aquatics and Fitness Center (AFC) features an Olympic-size pool, as well as one for recreational swimming.
- If you're more of the outdoor type, Mason has a selection of club and intramural sports, such as rugby, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, and softball, and the playing fields on which to enjoy them.
- The Corner Pocket in the Hub features a variety of indoor entertainment. Billiards, foosball, video and board games provide something for every player.
- Study at Fenwick Library, which houses the majority of Mason's 1.5 million volumes. The facility, which was renovated and expanded in 2016, is a hub of research services, learning spaces, digital technology, and other resources.
- Make your mark at The MIX (Mason Innovation Exchange), a network of on-campus entrepreneurship-focused collaboration and maker spaces. Get advice and hands-on learning whether you're working in textiles, robotics, gaming, electronics, digital fabrication, or something else.
Events Come to You
Our proximity to Washington, D.C., makes us a frequent stop for national leaders and candidates. Recent visitors to the Fairfax Campus include former first lady Michelle Obama, former vice president Joe Biden, Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, Vice President Mike Pence, and Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va.
The Fairfax Campus is also the site of sports, entertainment, and cultural events, conferences, and academic opportunities:
- Cheer Mason's basketball teams, rock out to a concert, or hold your event at EagleBank Arena, a 10,000-seat facility that's also the site of our commencement ceremonies. Past events have featured Bruce Springsteen, Keith Urban, Bob Dylan, Marc Anthony, Enrique Iglesias, the Harlem Globetrotters, WWE, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, and Disney on Ice.
- Enjoy the best of classical music, opera, jazz, world music, dance, and theater at the Center for the Arts' 2,000-seat Concert Hall. Professional artists, accomplished faculty, and emerging student artists are among performers. Mason students get free tickets to more than 100 events each year.
- Host your event here. The professional staff in University Events will help you select a venue that best suits your needs. Whether you need office space for an off-site meeting, have a conference to plan, need a room or a stage with seating, or space for a team-building exercise, we can accommodate you.